We have added the DNR Hawaii Cruise itinerary to our website (see below). Nothing like the last minute!
These Calendars can be pulled from the DerekandRomaine.com website, into a smartphone! You do this by “subscribing” to the Calendar with your smartphone. These are known as “iCal” calendars, which DNR creates on Google.
Note that by subscribing, the events are not actually added to your personal Calendar – you are simply viewing our events as a subset of your overall Calendar view. And you can unsubscribe at any time, and the events would disappear.
How you subscribe to an Event Calendar, is different for iPhones vs Android and other types of phones.
One very important caveat, with regards to using our DNR Cruise Calendars – is TIME ZONE DIFFERENCES!
- It’s important to understand that there is a “SHIP TIME” that the ships set their clocks to, and they ask their passengers to observe. Most cruise lines, set their SHIP TIME, to the LOCAL PORT TIME ZONE – but not always. And it is not always clear what time zone that ships will use during SEA DAYS.
- Once you get on the ship, you should ensure your smartphone’s date/time is set to the posted SHIP TIME. As everything scheduled on board, is according to SHIP TIME. Confirm this every morning!
- The SHIP TIME that an event is scheduled, will appear in the DESCRIPTION field of each Event. Always reference this SHIP TIME – because if anything goes wrong with our Calendars or your Internet Connection, or how your smartphone is interpreting TIME ZONES, you can always reference the SHIP TIME in the description field, as the ACTUAL SHIP TIME that the event is planned.
- By default, we initially set each Calendar Event, to the LOCAL TIME ZONE that we expect the ship to be honoring, because it is what we expect the SHIP TIME to also be. Unfortunately the cruise lines will not provide the daily time zones and ship times for us in advance – as it’s up to the Captain to determine what they will observe. So we can only confirm the daily time zones/ship times, after we board the ship.
- Since we manually set each Event to an expected LOCAL TIME ZONE, when you look at your calendar at your home, in a different time zone, the Events may look like they have the wrong time. There is no way around this! In order to have the events appear at the proper time for those who will be on the cruise and IN those time zones, we must set them this way.
- Once we board the ship, and confirm the daily time zones and ship times, we will adjust the event times on our DNR Cruise Calendars. This should happen by the end of the departure day (11:59pm on the departure day).
- Every morning, you should double check that your phone is set to the SHIP TIME, and you should also “refresh” your Calendars, to make sure you are looking at any changes. This will require that you have Internet Access! If you did not purchase an Internet plan on the ship, you should be able to do this on port days, when the ship is near a cell tower (assuming your smartphone has a roaming data plan).
DNR HAWAII CRUISE CALENDAR:
Click here to view the DNR Hawaii Cruise Calendar on our website.
- iOS12 and later devices, follow these steps:
- First go to https://www.derekandromaine.com/cruise/calendars on your iPhone (this page).
- “Tap and hold” the following URL link, which allows you to “Copy” the URL into your iPhone’s clipboard. If you clicked wrong, it may ask “This website is trying to show you a calendar invite” – select IGNORE then try to COPY again.
- Make sure you are copying the entire line above or you will later receive a file is unsupported error or similar on your iPhone or iPad.
- Once you Copied the above into your clipboard, then go to the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Passwords & Accounts.
- Scroll to the bottom and select “Add Account“.
- Select “Other“
- Select “Add Subscribed Calendar“.
- “Paste” the above URL that you copied into your clipboard, by Tapping and holding the field, then selecting to “Paste”.
- Make sure you see the entire long URL here beginning with https ending in .ics, or you will receive an File is Unsupported or similar error on a subsequent step.
- Tap the Next button.
- Tap the Save button.
- After you have subscribed, enter your iPhone/iPads Calendar app, and you’ll see the DNR Events integrated. You can always click “Calendars” at the bottom of your Calendar app, and turn on/off the DNR Cruise Calendar.
- Android users should first check if they have Google Calendar loaded on their device. Use it for best results!
- Android users all have a Gmail address. Starting on your desktop browser, not using your smartphone, go to https://calendar.google.com.
- Login to Google Calendar, with the Gmail address that you use on your Android phone.
- On the left side bar, click the Down Arrow to the right of the words “Other calendars”.
- Select Add by URL
- Copy and paste the following ICAL link, into the calendar address field provided on Google Calendar
- Click Add Calendar.
- The calendar will appear on the left side under “Other Calendars”
- Note: It might take up to 12 hours for changes to appear on your Google Calendar on your smartphone. Keep in mind this is only intended to work with Google Calendar on your smartphone, not other calendars!
- Once the other calendar is linked in your Google account, you can assign its events a color and hide/show that calendar both on the web and in your Calendar app.
- If you want to see the calendar quicker, then continue following the following steps
- Go back to the Calendar App and from the main window, tap on the 3 dots at the top right of the App and then tap “Refresh”
- Then go to the Settings for the App. On that page, scroll to the section for the gmail account you used to add the calendar too.
- Look for the DNR Cruise Calendar. You may have to hit “More”
- Tap on the DNR Cruise Calendar in the list to see its settings
and Make sure the “Sync” is turned on (by default it will be off), then refresh again.
- All of the calendar items will now be syncd to your device’s calendar app
and as the calendar gets updated, updates will also sync.
- If you did all this and you still cannot get this to work, try following the iPhone/iOS11 Instructions, as some Android users have had luck with those
- We do not have specific instructions on subscribing with another device. However the steps may be similar to the iPhone or Android instructions above.
- In general, you will always need to input the following ICAL link, somewhere into your smartphone’s Calendar section:
- If you are successful with another device, please let us know the exact steps to subscribe, and we can share those instructions with other members!
ENCORE LOVE CRUISE 2020 CALENDAR:
Coming in January 2020!